Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Poison’ Category

 If you are planning a new landscape design, let the designer be aware of all family pets within the household. It is generally a good idea to monitor pets while they are outside. Young pets have a tendency to be mischievous, chew, eat and dig everything in sight. Once pets have matured, it is highly unlikely they will find an interest in your outdoor shrubs, perennials, annuals, bulbs or vegetable garden plants.

Listed are several plants to keep a close watch on.

Oleander thrives in the sandy soil at the coast. If you have these gorgeous plants in your landscape for the beach house, they are toxic.

Tropical plants are sometimes utilized outdoors in pots, as annuals like; alocasia, aloe, begonia, caladium, coleus, geranium, moss rose. These are toxic.

Pieris, American holly berries, azalea, crocus, asian lily, English and poison  ivy, calla lily, gardenia,

lobelia, Lenten rose,

 mums, clematis, privet, daffodil, daylily, easter lily, elephant ears, foxglove, iris, hyacinth, gladiola, Rose of Sharon, several varieties of  hydrangea,  lantana, lily of the valley, nandina, peony,

vinca, primrose, rhododendron, st john’s wort, and yarrow

Vines-Perennial sweet pea, clematis, morning glory, wisteria

If you know your animals/pets will constantly chew and dig in your landscape, think about having a fence surrounding your toxic plants to ensure the safety of  your 4-legged friends. This way the family will have a peace of mind.

Additional information is provided by www.aspca.org. Protect your animals and be safe from DianaDigsDirt and Just a Cloud Away, Inc.™ Journal.

 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

From experience, poison ivy is no laughing matter. Every part of this plant is poisonous and the oil called urushiol causes severe allergic reactions.

If ingested, can be fatal. Below are pictures of the allergic reaction I was subject to a few weeks ago. I never touched the poison ivy plant. I handled a shrub that was removed from area infested with the ivy. There was no foliage on the poison ivy, the urushiol oil is present even on the roots.

The oil is very concentrated and will last for up to a year.

  • Notice areas the poison ivy is growing
  • Use a store-bought poison ivy killer
  • Do not burn the plant-fumes can cause severe internal damage
  • Do not burn firewood that came into contact with poison ivy
  • Do not handle animals that came into contact with poison ivy
  • Wash toys in clothing detergent if exposed to poison ivy
  • If a poison ivy plant drops foliage into a stream, the oil will float on the surface
  • If a weed trimmer or lawn mower cuts the poison ivy foliage and is later touched, may cause an allergic reaction

The allergic reaction is very itchy and will cause scarring if not treated early. Apparently, one does not build up an immunity to the poison and each exposure to urushiol will be greater in severity.

Steroids are the best solution administered by your doctor. In the meantime a medication containing antihistamine can be taken to alleviate some discomfort. Oatmeal baths, calamine lotion and aloe vera gel applied to prevent scratching.

Do not:

  • Take hot showers or baths
  • Touch anything else until a shower or bath can remove the oil
  • Touch any tools that came in contact with the urushiol until washed in clothing detergent
  • Touch door or sink handles

Teach your children now that Leaves of 3 Let Them Be. 

Poison ivy plants are very noticeable in the autumn because of their bright red, orange or yellow color. It is a very beautiful display, but beware!! This plant will grow within your landscape too, but is more prevalent in woodland areas.

Peace Love and Hugs

Diana

Read Full Post »